Of course, it is much better to update your NETGEAR Router rather than being hacked by someone. So that your NETGEAR devices keep running without any obstruction, daily NETGEAR releases the latest firmware update. Updating the NETGEAR router is essential because it makes it secure, more productive, and you also get the benefits of added features by the company.
Don’t worry if you aren’t well-familiar with the process of updating the Netgear router! In this brief guide, we have shared a step-by-step process so you can do this simple thing by yourself.
However, you can update the Netgear router by following three methods so you go with the option that you may find easy for you.
Updating the Netgear Router Using the WEB Interface:
Here are few simple steps to update the Netgear Router using web-interface-
- Go to the web-browser of your Mobile, Laptop, or PC device.
- Using the default address of your Router, access the Netgear support website.
- Here you will see a pop-up asking you for a Router- Login.
- Enter the User Model Number of your Router
- Press the Check button.
- At this point, the system may take time to check the availability of a new firmware version.
- Click on the “YES” option if available.
Now your device should be restart automatically. Also, make sure that you re-configure your device.
Updating the Netgear Router Manually:
Users who want to update their Netgear Router manually can consider taking these steps.
- Before you update the Router manually, make sure that you have already downloaded the latest Firmware. First, visit the NETGEAR Support.
- You will be asked to give the Model number of your Router, so do the same.
- Now you will get the latest Firmware, download it and unzip the file.
- Now visit net through your web browser.
- Now you will be asked to give Username and Password (Note: Default username should be ADMIN)
- After login in, go to advanced, then settings and administration.
- Click on the Firmware Update option.
- Now upload the Firmware (ending with .img or .chk.) from Unzip files.
- Hit the Upload Button.
- Now it may take a few times. Till then, don’t use the device. Once the update is done, restart it or let it restart automatically.
Updating the Netgear Router Using Desktop Genie App:
Genie app is an advanced yet quickest alternative to update the Netgear Router. However, the complicated set-up of the Geniee app might confuse you initially, but you will be able to carry out the network-related settings with ease in the future. Let’s have a look at the process of updating Netgear Router using the genie app.
- Open the app and click on the Router Settings in the Menu section.
- Enter the username and password on the router login page; it may also connect automatically if you have saved some settings.
- Now click on the “NEXT” button, find the router firmware update, and Press the “OK” button.
- Your Router has been updated.
Wait a few minutes, and here you go!
So these are the few easy alternatives to update your Netgear Router. However, updating through the Genie app is comparatively easier. In most instances, if any option doesn’t work, you can choose another one.
Even whatever the option you select for the Router firmware update, the one thing that is obvious is that you should consider this important thing. Updating the Router is essential; else hackers will not give a second to shield your networking device. Again, explore all these methods and update your Router if still, this essential task is pending.